• This forum is currently in Read-Only mode and will not accept new threads, posts or responses.

To Sign Up for the New Forum, click here: https://www.cco.us/cco-forum/

Q&A terminology clarification

DebraB

Blitzer
Can you please help me. When it says subQ is that considered deep? What "buzz words" am I looking for when I see deep & sub Q. either for the skin or surgery?

Lori Woods

Staff member
Administrator
Blitzer
PBC Student (CPC®)
CCO Club Member
CCO Support Staff
MTA Student
ICD-10-CM Student
PPM Student (CPPM®)
FBC Student (CPC-H®)
CCO Practicoder
PBB Student (CPB™)
ICD-9 Student
PBMA Student (CPMA®)
ICD-10-PCS Student
HCC Student
I had to look that up subQ Subcutaneous emphysema is when gas or air is in the layer under the skin. Subcutaneous refers to the tissue beneath the skin, and emphysema refers to trapped air. It is sometimes abbreviated SCE or SE and also called tissue emphysema, or Sub Q air. I vote yes by the diagram of the skin.

Last edited:

DebraB

Blitzer
I had to look that up subQ Subcutaneous emphysema is when gas or air is in the layer under the skin. Subcutaneous refers to the tissue beneath the skin, and emphysema refers to trapped air. It is sometimes abbreviated SCE or SE and also called tissue emphysema, or Sub Q air. I vote yes by the diagram of the skin.
I thank you for the answer but I did not mean sub Q emphysema. I meant sub Q as a depth as in full thickness in skin for sub Q in depth for surgery.

Lori Woods

Staff member
Administrator
Blitzer
PBC Student (CPC®)
CCO Club Member
CCO Support Staff
MTA Student
ICD-10-CM Student
PPM Student (CPPM®)
FBC Student (CPC-H®)
CCO Practicoder
PBB Student (CPB™)
ICD-9 Student
PBMA Student (CPMA®)
ICD-10-PCS Student
HCC Student
I know the photo I tried to share would not load i just meant that sub refers to beneath the skin & the photo showed how deep that was sorry the pic was the best reference but it wouldn't load :(

Laureen

Queen Instructor
Staff member
Administrator
Blitzer
PBC Student (CPC®)
CCO Club Member
CCO Support Staff
MTA Student
ICD-10-CM Student
PPM Student (CPPM®)
FBC Student (CPC-H®)
Debra - I don't think there are any buzz words other than using deep or not. Deep subcutaneous just means going further down but not into muscle.